Monday, December 29, 2008

A rare white Christmas in western Oregon

We arrived at our Christmas vacation destination in western Oregon just in time for the biggest snowstorm the region has seen in recent memory. Over a foot of snow fell the weekend before Christmas, causing church to be canceled. My father-in-law received permission to administer the Sacrament here at his home, so we had a nice little church meeting with 18 members of my wife's family. That's bigger than some branches I remember from the mission.

Since we're up on a hill out in the country, the only way to get out for a while was with 4-wheel-drive and chains. There's been a lot of "Rock Band 2" and pinochle playing going on to pass the time. I also found "The Life of Heber C. Kimball" on my in-laws' shelf of old Church books and was happy to get the chance to start reading it. This biography was written by Orson F. Whitney and contains a lot of church history, especially relating to the spread of the Gospel in Great Britain.

Today my wife and I are off to the Oregon coast to celebrate 5 years of happy marriage! Thanks to parents, in-laws, and grandparents who have been such a great example in this regard.

We wish anyone reading this post a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Erika said...

Wow...5 years...Happy Anniversary! It sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time.