Saturday, October 4, 2008

A second temple for Argentina

At the opening session of today's Mormon General Conference, President Thomas S. Monson announced the locations for five new temples, one of which is Córdoba Argentina. I would love to have seen the reaction of church members and fellow missionaries that I served with on my full time mission in Argentina. I can imagine packed meetinghouses of members gathered to watch the broadcast, buzzing with excitement at this announcement.

We occasionally speculated that the next temple in Argentina would be built in Córdoba. The city is centrally located and is home to at least four stakes. I don't have a Church Almanac, but I'm pretty sure that's the most of any Argentine city outside Buenos Aires, where the first temple in Argentina is located. Since I returned from my mission I have listened closely to every temple announcement in General Conference to hear if Córdoba's name would be called. Today's announcement is a confirmation to me of the Church's inevitable growth across Argentina and the world.

It was my privilege to work with many stalwart missionaries from Córdoba and other provinces that will be in this temple district, such as Catamarca, La Rioja, and Santiago del Estero. I love to think of them attending the dedication of this temple and frequently worshiping there with their families.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

It's great to see an area blessed because of their faith. What greater blessing than the temple? I hope you get to visit it someday.