Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I gotta go my own way...to sleep

For one year of my baby daughter's life I was at a severe biological disadvantage when it came to putting her to sleep. But now that she doesn't nurse as much we've discovered that we can sway her into a slumber with some soft music. I'm all over that. Nothing beats dancing with my baby girl.

She doesn't go out without a fight, though. For a while we had a CD of soft music I had made for my wife that was pretty effective. "Sailing" by Christopher Cross would always take her out. But after a few weeks she caught on to us and would writhe in protest upon discovering our intent. So we had to find a new tactic, and a new song.

Lately the breakup scene from High School Musical 2 has done the trick every time. Some nights it takes a few go-rounds, though. Did you know that this song starts 1:22:14 into the DVD? My wife and I have that figure memorized.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Are you opposed to letting her put herself to sleep?

Sterling said...

We might be able to pull this off but it would be crazy for a while. Our boy would definitely see it as an excuse to get out of his bed and report "Mom/Dad, she's crying." Besides, the current way is fun...most nights.