Thursday, July 31, 2008

Playlist from a 90's stake dance

In Mormon lingo, a "stake dance" is a social event where teens 14 through 18 can get to know each other, bust a move, and collectively wish they were old enough to be out doing more exciting things, like driving and dating. Actually, that's not totally accurate. When I was 15 there's nowhere I'd have rather been on a Saturday night than at the Yakima or Selah stake center "cultural hall", catching up with friends from around "The Valley".


I was an adolescent during the late 90's and am endeared to the great music of that period. That was back in the days when you had to shell out at least $10 for a CD even if you really wanted only one track. Thanks to the modern miracle of songs for under a buck apiece on the Internet, my wife and I were able to construct a 90's stake dance megamix, containing these songs.


  • "Hero" - Mariah Carey


  • "Angel of Mine" - Monica


  • "You Gotta Be" - Des'ree


  • "Show Me Love" - Robyn


  • "Still In Love" - New Edition


  • "Come and Get Your Love" - Real McCoy (although "Runaway" might have been more likely)


  • "Twisted" - Keith Sweat


  • "One Sweet Day" - Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men


  • "Crash and Burn" - Savage Garden


  • "The Background" - 3rd Eye Blind (as Simon would put it, this one was "an indulgence")


  • "You're the Inspiration" - Chicago (although it's 80's, a lot of 90's stake dances played it)


  • "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" - Eiffel 65


  • "I Think I'm in Love" - Jessica Simpson


  • "Someday" - Sugar Ray


  • "All I Want" - Toad the Wet Sprocket


  • "Walk on the Ocean" - Toad the Wet Sprocket (had to slip in a 2-for-Toad here)


  • "The Animal Song" - Savage Garden


  • "I Can Love You Like That" - All 4 One


  • "I Knew I Loved You" - Savage Garden

Whoah, I can almost taste the stale Chips Ahoy now. I'm sure a few of you are saying, "That's great Sterling, but what about 'Cotton Eyed Joe', 'Linger', 'Macarena', 'Coco Jambo'..." etc. Well, if you put on this CD at 8 PM it currently doesn't make it 'til 10:30 (although it does switch on every light in your house as soon as it finishes). We need a 2-volume set, so go ahead and add your own suggestions to complete the ultimate 90's stake dance playlist!

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Being at the youth conference dance the other night did bring back some memories! Stake dances are one of a kind!

gregg + camille said...

too funny...I just made a "sappy love song" playlist on my iPOD and it was made up of mostly these songs - they remind me of my teenage years...ahh..the memories. I can almost remember which guys I danced with to each song! I will try and remember some songs from our PC Stake dance days. (Gregg and I actually dressed up and went to a PC stake dance a couple of months ago...my mom is Stake YW president and she had to be there so we stopped by for some slow songs...Dallin wound not have ANYTHING to do with us and Gregg kept trying to grab my back end...not appropriate for a stake dance! We almost got kicked out by my dad!)

gregg + camille said...

One of my best friends started a food storage blog...thought you might like it. Check it out.

http://www.preparedinallthings.blogspot.com/

Josh said...

Ster,
My mom, Samantha and I have been discussing some of the classics...
Will Smith was always played at ours, "Men in Black" & "Gettin' Jiggy wit it" for sure. Also, "bye, bye, bye" by N'sync.
U2... Although Joshua Tree came out in the 80's, they were played constantly at our dances.
How about Aerosmith "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing". That was one that you just had to go find a lady to dance with.
I also remember The Presidents of the United States of America singing "Peaches". That was a big one.
The other two that were played lots were MC Hammer "U can't touch this" and Vanilla ice... is that the 80's though?
Your list was great, and I we are excited to read your follow up post!

Rachel said...

Kiss From a Rose by Seal, of course! Although, that's more of an EFY memory for me. Same diff.

Michelle said...

I like Josh's list: here are some more!

“Tearin’ Up My Heart” NSYNC
“Lady in Red”
– okay, so it is 80’s…
“Butterfly Kisses”
“My Heart Will Go On (Titanic)” – Celine Dion
“(God must have spent) A Little More Time on You” NSYNC
At The Beginning – Anastasia
The Sign – Ace of Base
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) – Green Day
Zoot Suit Riot – Cherry Poppin’ Daddies
One Week – Barenaked Ladies
Free Fallin’ – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Walking On Sunshine
All Star – smash mouth

Others not from 90’s…
YMCA – Village People
Love Shack – The B-52’s

good times

-mq

sistersomebody said...

ha! great list! awesome blog :)

www.sistersomebody.wordpress.com

sistersomebody said...

cool list. it made me giggle - and it made me want to listen to my mariah carey cd :)